The Department of Recreation Services at **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is seeking to hire a Coordinator Facilities/Weight Rooms staff to assist with supervising weight and fitness room operations for Archbold and Women’s Building. Assist with training and supervision of Fitness Center student staff.
Assist with evening and weekend supervision of facilities. Variable work schedule. Evening and weekend work required. Primary work schedule Sun-TH 1pm-10pm.
Construction is now well underway on the Barnes Center at The Arch, a new health and wellness complex that will open in fall 2019. The new complex will provide students, faculty and staff a brand new space to improve their health and engage with a myriad of wellness resources as they balance the rigors of academic life and the pursuit of personal success.
The state-of-the-art complex at the transformed Archbold Gymnasium is designed as a vibrant hub for student services that will provide holistic support with comprehensive medical care, wellness resources and mental health support. The fully accessible complex will bring together the Counseling Center, the Office of Health Promotion, Health Services, Recreation Services and the Office of Student Assistance in one central location, helping to ensure a seamless approach to coordinating student services and promoting collaboration among student offices.
• Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Sports Management, Education or a related field
• Minimum of two years full-time professional experience in higher education recreation facility administration.
Job Specific Qualifications
• Minimum 2 years experience working in university recreation facilities or related facility.
• Minimum 1 year experience supervising student employees.
• Certification as a strength & conditioning specialist or personal trainer through
• Assessment planning experience
• Evening and weekend work required.
• 1st Aid/
Instructor certifications required
• Variable work schedule. Evenings and weekends required. Primary work schedule 1pm-10pm Sun – TH
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent planning and organization skills
• Excellent team work skills
• Excellent conflict management skills
• Excellent decision making skills
• Assist with supervising operations of weight and fitness room operations for Archbold and Women’s Building during evening and weekend hours. Assist with training and supervision of Fitness Center student staff. Resolve basic patron facility use issues. Interact with facility users. Enforce established policies and procedures relating to weight and fitness room operations and use. Assist with implementing risk management and customer service plans. Coordinate Emergency Action Plans while on duty.
• Assist with hiring, training, supervising, developing and evaluating 50 student employees working in the weight and fitness rooms. Manage established student employee work schedules.
• Perform payroll functions for student employees accurately and on time.
• Assist with implementing established preventative maintenance program for all strength & cardio equipment. Identify repair parts for equipment to be purchased. Perform basic equipment maintenance and repairs. Responsible for ensuring proper daily cleaning of equipment is completed.
• Provide weight room orientation sessions to teach patrons proper use of equipment. Provide weight room fitness challenges and other educational programs.
• Assist with implementing and assessing policies and procedures. Insure adherence to department policies and procedures by students, faculty, staff, guests and participants. Notify supervisor of building safety, liability and risk management issues.
In addition to completing an online application, please attach a resume and cover letter for consideration.
About **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is a private research university of extraordinary academics, distinctive offerings and an undeniable spirit. With a gorgeous campus in the heart of New York State, a global footprint and a history that dates to 1870, we embrace diverse backgrounds and viewpoints.
Our student population includes nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students, representing all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. Our proud commitment to veterans and their families is unrivaled in higher education. Home to 11 schools and colleges, **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. blends the foundational power of the liberal arts with the intense focus of professional programs. We offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Education, Engineering and Computer Science, Sport and Human Dynamics, Information Studies, Law, Management, Citizenship and Public Affairs, Public Communications, and Visual and Performing Arts.
A medium-sized city situated in the geographic center of the state, Syracuse, N.Y., is approximately a four-hour drive from New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto and Montreal. With a metropolitan population of 700,000, Syracuse is a center for cultural, recreational and artistic events, including the Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse Stage, Symphoria, Destiny Mall, multiple sporting events, and festivals including Jazz Fest and Winterfest. The outdoor enthusiast will enjoy having the Adirondack Mountains, the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, and the Thousands Islands Region within easy driving distance of the Syracuse campus.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution. The University prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship, ethnicity, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law to the extent prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University programs, services, and activities.
Commitment to Supporting and Hiring Veterans
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. has a long history of engaging veterans and the military-connected community through its educational programs, community outreach, and employment programs. After World War II, **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. welcomed more than 10,000 returning veterans to our campus, and those veterans literally transformed **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. into the national research institution it is today. The University’s contemporary commitment to veterans builds on this historical legacy, and extends to both class-leading initiatives focused on making an SU degree accessible and affordable to the post-9/11 generation of veterans, and also programs designed to position **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. as the employer of choice for military veterans, members of the Guard and Reserve, and military family members.
Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Campus Community
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview. The University community recognizes and values the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. At Syracuse, we are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. To do so, we commit ourselves to promoting a community that celebrates and models the principles of diversity and inclusivity.
Job Posting Date
Full Consideration By
Message to Applicants