Manage the daily operations of the pro shop, skate rental shop and ice arena. Provide ice and Zamboni maintenance. Hire, train schedule and supervise student pro shop and skate guard staff and supervisors and ice resurfacers. Supervise rental groups and special events. Variable work schedule. Evening and weekend work required.
Construction is now well underway on the Barnes Center at The Arch, a new health and wellness complex that will open in fall 2019. The new complex will provide students, faculty and staff a brand new space to improve their health and engage with a myriad of wellness resources as they balance the rigors of academic life and the pursuit of personal success.
The state-of-the-art complex at the transformed Archbold Gymnasium is designed as a vibrant hub for student services that will provide holistic support with comprehensive medical care, wellness resources and mental health support. The fully accessible complex will bring together the Counseling Center, the Office of Health Promotion, Health Services, Recreation Services and the Office of Student Assistance in one central location, helping to ensure a seamless approach to coordinating student services and promoting collaboration among student offices.
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in recreation, sports management, facility management or related field.
• Ice Arena Certifications through United States Rink Association and Ontario Recreation Facilities Association:
) Basic Arena Refrigeration
) Ice Making and Painting Technologies
) Ice Maintenance and Equipment Operation
) Operations and Risk Management
) Programming, Marketing and Promotions
• Ice Arena Certifications through Ice Skating Institute (
Certificate of Arena Management
Certificate of Arena Operations
• Star Rink courses in ice making and painting technologies, ice maintenance and equipment operation, basic refrigeration, certified ice technician and operations and risk management.
Job Specific Qualifications
• Position requires knowledge of Ice making and maintenance, Zamboni operation, and basic refrigeration.
• Experience in point of sale and scheduling software.
• Proficiency in Microsoft excel and word.
• Evening and weekend work required.
• Assist with daily operations of Tennity Ice Pavilion. Maintain two Zamboni’s including daily greasing, weekly blade changes, battery watering, cleaning and inspections. Supervise ice maintenance including ice resurfacing, dry cuts, checking ice depths, divot patching, hand edging, and machine edging. Train student supervisors and part-time employees on effective ice-resurfacing. Responsible for implementing risk management and customer service plans. Coordinate Emergency Action Plans while on duty.
• Oversee Proshop operations. Order all skate accessory and apparel items for resale. Update Pro Shop point of sale system for new inventory, styles and barcodes. Maintain all rental skates by sharpening, replacing laces and insoles.
• Recruit, hire, train, schedule, evaluate and perform payroll functions for all supervisors. Ensure appropriate staff coverage of facilities during all operating hours. Responsible for supervision of Ice Pavilion operations in absence of Associate Director.
• Serve as supervisor on duty during Men’s and Women’s Club hockey games and Women’s Intercollegiate hockey games, including pre-game ice prep, in-game resurfacing, and coordination with Athletics staff. Assist with supervising special events and rentals.
• Oversee and update the Tennity website including open skate hours, monthly schedules, special events, open figure skate times, skate and shoot times, holiday break schedules and intramural schedules.
In addition to completing an online application, please attach a resume and cover letter for consideration.
About Syracuse University
Syracuse University is a private research university of extraordinary academics, distinctive offerings and an undeniable spirit. With a gorgeous campus in the heart of New York State, a global footprint and a history that dates to 1870, we embrace diverse backgrounds and viewpoints.
Our student population includes nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students, representing all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. Our proud commitment to veterans and their families is unrivaled in higher education. Home to 11 schools and colleges, Syracuse University blends the foundational power of the liberal arts with the intense focus of professional programs. We offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Education, Engineering and Computer Science, Sport and Human Dynamics, Information Studies, Law, Management, Citizenship and Public Affairs, Public Communications, and Visual and Performing Arts.
A medium-sized city situated in the geographic center of the state, Syracuse, N.Y., is approximately a four-hour drive from New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto and Montreal. With a metropolitan population of 700,000, Syracuse is a center for cultural, recreational and artistic events, including the Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse Stage, Symphoria, Destiny Mall, multiple sporting events, and festivals including Jazz Fest and Winterfest. The outdoor enthusiast will enjoy having the Adirondack Mountains, the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, and the Thousands Islands Region within easy driving distance of the Syracuse campus.
Syracuse University is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution. The University prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship, ethnicity, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law to the extent prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University programs, services, and activities.
Commitment to Supporting and Hiring Veterans
Syracuse University has a long history of engaging veterans and the military-connected community through its educational programs, community outreach, and employment programs. After World War II, Syracuse University welcomed more than 10,000 returning veterans to our campus, and those veterans literally transformed Syracuse University into the national research institution it is today. The University’s contemporary commitment to veterans builds on this historical legacy, and extends to both class-leading initiatives focused on making an SU degree accessible and affordable to the post-9/11 generation of veterans, and also programs designed to position Syracuse University as the employer of choice for military veterans, members of the Guard and Reserve, and military family members.
Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Campus Community
Syracuse University maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview. The University community recognizes and values the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. At Syracuse, we are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. To do so, we commit ourselves to promoting a community that celebrates and models the principles of diversity and inclusivity.
Job Posting Date
Full Consideration By
Message to Applicants
Website : http://www.syr.edu/
From its founding in 1870, Syracuse University has a proud tradition of providing an environment in which students from diverse backgrounds come together to create, grow, and break boundaries.When Syracuse went Orange in 1890, it became the first university to adopt only one official color. And while this may be an early example of our individuality, it's by no means the only one. From starting the nation's first degree-granting college of fine arts to throwing open its doors to veterans to blazing a trail with the first iSchool, Syracuse University has always been a proud original.