Central Washington University
Central Washington University
To apply for a job at Central Washington University, please go to careers.cwu.edu. Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID 2008
Full/Part Time Full-Time
The Head Men's Basketball Coach will be responsible for initiating various aspects of the Men's Basketball program. These duties include but are not limited to: day-to-day operations; the recruitment and retention of student-athletes; game strategy including practice and game coaching; fiscal planning and budget development; supervising and evaluating assistants and staff; assisting with scheduling; maintaining a positive and professional relations with students, athletes, alumni, donors, media, and fans. The Head Men's Basketball Coach must conduct a basketball program in compliance with all applicable NCAA, Conference, State, National, and Institutional rules and regulations. It is also critical that the men's basketball program works in the best interest of the university mission and goals, in which student-athletes graduate and achieve competitive success.
Oversee the day-to-day operations of the men's basketball program including those duties outlined below:
- Schedule games with approval of the Director of Athletics; organize and schedule practice sessions.
- Develop game strategy, including practice, game coaching, and skill development.
- Seek out best practices and innovative approaches; provide a positive performance impact to enhance individual and team player development.
- Develop and oversee the off-season training program; monitor strength and conditioning of athletes.
- Supervise and hire staff; establish job performance standards; evaluate job performance; take corrective action; train; assign and schedule work; act upon leave requests.
- Develop and execute a plan to recruit student-athletes of high character who have the athletic talent to compete at the collegiate varsity level with the academic aptitude to earn a degree.
- Guide student athletes to be successful as an athlete and a student
- Build a large network to ensure successful recruiting
- Plan yearly budgets; make recommendations to administration
- Account for all expenditures and monitor spending
- Stay within established scholarship award limits
- Other duties as assigned.
The doors of the Washington State Normal School in Ellensburg opened in 1891. Mr. Benjamin Franklin Barge was the first principal of the school, which was founded to educate future elementary and junior high teachers. Classes were held at the Washington Public School until the normal school's first building, Barge Hall, opened in 1893. The normal school became Central Washington College of Education in 1937, Central Washington State College in 1961, and Central Washington University in 1977. Today CWU is a comprehensive university that provides high quality programs to more than 13,000 people at eight locations. CWU is co-located with community colleges in Edmonds, Everett, Des Moines, Steilacoom/Puyallup, Kent, Yakima, Moses Lake, and Wenatchee, where students can complete baccalaureate degrees without leaving their communities. A new dual admission program allows community college students to be admitted to CWU when they are admitted to a college, streamlining the admissions, advising, and transfer processes. CWU also serves more students on-line than any other comprehensive university in Washington. "Finish Line" is an online campus launched in fall 2011 to enable people to complete degrees online.